Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Do I have a case?

Posted by johnf on August 31, 2001 at 03:00:28:

In Reply to: Re: Do I have a case? posted by Chris G on August 28, 2001 at 15:26:08:

If LL never gave the copy then a contract was never completed, as the basic definition of any contract is that both must sign and both must receive a copy. So it would default to the government regulations that would apply to a month to month rental.

Are you certain he did not wash the windows after you left? Were the windows cleaned when you first moved in? Was suite on the ground floor, as tenants cannot be expected to wash outside of windows that are not easily reached.

It's also a matter of principal, and if everybody says it's not enough to worry about then it could be an unfair action that can continue to be given out to more and more tenants. 50$ also sounds high, is that a reasonable market value for that work?

I'd take a picture as soon as possible or try to verify they were not cleaned, and then contact the LL to say that you have a problem with the deduction and get his side of the story. If you still are not satisfied, then tell him you don't accept it, LL might pay up at this point, as it's a hastle to go through on his side as well. If you have to file a claim over 50$, go ahead. If it goes in your favour then they would probably make the LL pay your claim costs as well.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name