Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Mice, roaches, and exterminators

Posted by Cranky Tenant on August 30, 2001 at 20:01:07:

In Reply to: Mice, roaches, and exterminators posted by Ehren on August 30, 2001 at 17:23:46:

I'm certainly not a lawyer but I believe failure to provide extermination services when the apartment is infested with vermin consititures a decrease in services, that can be filed with DJHCR

Of course the upside to having mice is that they don't tend to co-exist with roaches, and they're considerably easier to get rid of. Some of the methods were mentioned in a provious thread.

Most exterminators will only provide you with a few traps and put some poison in hidden areas of the apartment. They usually don't seal the holes where vermin enter. The building where I live was over-run with mice several years ago. I later discovered there was a hole, several feet wide, under the sink. Once the holes were sealed and I got a cat my apartment was free of mice. About a year later we discovered the basement was filled with trash and debris which probably made the building an attractive place for these creatures.

: My Brooklyn apartment is plagued with roaches and mice. Our landlord has not dispatched an exterminator for over three months, even after I have repeatedly called asking for one. My landlord recommended I set some traps (duh) and promised to send an exterminator. They keep promising, but are not taking action. The weeks go by. Nothing.

: Is a failure to promptly (or even within a reasonable amount of time) dispatch an exterminator for insects and vermin considered a violation that should be reported to DHCR? I'm sick of sharing my apartment with critters!

: Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name