Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

loud buzzer, door system a violation?

Posted by Rockie on August 30, 2001 at 12:57:34:

About 4 months ago the management company in my building (a 27-unit aprt. building) installed a new buzzer and lock system on our front door. The buzzer is an extremely high-pitched whine that is so loud one can hear it a block away. As soon as it was installed a petition went up in the building about changing the buzzer, but management ripped it down. I have repeatedly asked the management company to turn the volume down and adjust the pitch if possible to have it be less than ear-splittingly annoying. Every time I call they say "oh, we had the guys go over to fix that - they said it was fixed".

The other problem is, there's some sort of short in the system so that every time someone enters or leaves the building tenants can hear the buzzer through the intercom unit in their apartments. Day and night: "wheeeeee!!!!" It's enough to drive you crazy!

Another thing is, you have to push a huge button to open the door from the inside. Sometimes the lock system breaks and we can't get out. Isn't this some sort of housing or fire violation? Can I get the city involved?

I called the noise complaint hotline and got one person saying "no we don't handle that", one person saying "yes, we'll send someone over" and then they never did, I called back, they said "no we don't handle that". So the city has been no help.

Please advise.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name