Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I spoke to an attorney about this today

Posted by bill on August 28, 2001 at 20:53:58:

In Reply to: Do I have a case? posted by Guen on August 28, 2001 at 13:51:07:

I have the very same issue. I have only been in the aprtment a month,have found several things I am unhappy with and want to(and am going to)move out at end of Sept. I met with an attorney today and he told me he had a similiar case 3 months ago. Which the tenant won.So..he is mailing LL a letter that she will receive at the first of Sept telling her I am out in 30 days and she already has my last month of rent. The judgment in the other case was as follows: A LL cannot pick and choose what part of a lease they want to enforce.Further in this situation,look at it from a reverse angle. With no signature on the Landlord's behalf (and witness)this amounts to nothing more than a month to month lease.The attorney told me that
under these stipulations a landlord can kick you out in 30 days(because the tenant has nothing in writing saying they have the place for a yr). It may have been an oversight not signing a lease, but this attorney feels that often a LL will do this to see how the tenant is and will then deliver a signed lease.Or tell them to get out.
I am also in upstate NY. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name