Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Calm down

Posted by Provost on August 27, 2001 at 21:10:52:

In Reply to: Illegal Apartment posted by Patricia Callahan on August 27, 2001 at 20:57:35:

Relax -- You're not going to be evicted immediately, and inspectors cannot deem something to be "illegal" on the spot without even seeing it. And many so-called "illegal" apartments are actually quality units but just lack the final registration or some other paperwork. If you've been living there 8 years its can't be too shabby eh ?

Recognize that there are tens of thousands of so called "illegal" apartments in New York. They help to drive down the rents of all apartments and provided well needed housing at a resonable price. And it is really not the city's business where you decide to live or what the LL does with her house. I speak this from personal experience, for I myself lived in an "illegal" apartment for a couple of years - owner was a immigrant who did not have the language ability nor interest to deal with the city housing bureaucracy but who was a damn good carpenter. I was glad to find the place at a reasonable rent.

You were right to deny the inspector access to your unit. Sounds like the guy was just trolling around looking for something to do to justify his job. You might get together with other tenants and landlords and report him, if he behaved improperly. Also - and I also speak from personal knowledge here - many Queens politicians, while "officially" opposed to "illegal" apartments, actually give a "nod and wink" to the practice right under their noses. They know where there votes come from and know the realities of housing in NYC.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name