Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No male visitors allowed?

Posted by Kay on August 27, 2001 at 15:14:52:

I'm currently living in the Queens borough of NYC: verbal month-to-month lease with request of 30 days notice from me; two-story, two-family dwelling; not sure what year it was built, but it's been referred to as a rail-road house.

Main Concern: CAN MY LL ASK ME TO LEAVE IN 30 DAYS JUST "BECAUSE"

My problems:

1) I've been informed by my LL that I am not to have any overnight guests, no male guests at all, and no visitors after 10 p.m. She has informed me that if I don't want to conform to her way, I need to leave.

2) I live on the second floor and my neighboor downstairs has insisted to me that he requires silence from 10 p.m.

I know that the first response to my neighboor is not to worry because he is not the LL; but every time he complains, I'm informed from my LL that I should leave.

My lifestyle: I'm in bed most evening by 10:30 p.m., I work all day and rarely go out, even on weekends. My LL is complaining about two weekend guests within the past YEAR (we were out until about 3:30 a.m. on Saturday evening), and my boyfriend has recently started spending the night (I'm in my mid 30's).

I am really uncomfortable with confrontation, but I have been trying unsuccessfully to make my neighboor and my LL happy for the past two years. It's always something...I'm running water, flushing the toilet, walking too loudly, or having an overnight guest. It seems that their happiness is impossible. For the past two years, I have tried to be respectful, but don't I have some rights too?

Considering the fact that I feel like I'm under constant surveillance--my LL tells me when I leave and what I leave with (backpack, etc.), when I come home, if I've used my car or not, who I'm with, when my apartment lights are on/off...you get the idea--I would love to leave; but I can't find a place that I can afford right now.

If she gives me a 30-day notice, do I have any rights or do I have to pack my bags?

Thanks for any advice or direction!

Kay

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name