Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Apartment is Stabilized, NOT controlled, and you don't have sucession rights.

Posted by Provost on August 25, 2001 at 17:43:07:

In Reply to: succession rights...situation posted by gi0rgi0 on August 24, 2001 at 20:58:33:

If he's only been there 20 years there is no way that apartment is rent controlled. More likely it is rent stabilized. He can leave and sublet or assign the lease to you. The landlord could, but would not be required to, issue a new lease to you upon expiration of the current lease.

You would have no succesion rights if he moved elsewhere. Succession means than the primary tenant dies and tenancy passes onto his partner who has lived with the deceased in the same apartment. In which case you must truly be a "life partner", with joint bank accounts, wills made out to each other, and have lived together at least two years.

: I'm sharing a rent-controlled apt. I moved in 4 mths ago and have a great relationship with the only tenant. His career has taken a nose dive and even though I'm paying 2/3 rent, he talks about having to move out after over 20 yrs b/c of no $$. He reminds me that if he has to move out, I can "have" the apartment. In case he's serious, my curiosities are:

: What are my options as a non-traditional family member if he can't afford rent anymore?
: Can he add my name to the lease in an r.c. apt?
: I've been there under 2 yrs, what grounds can I debate for tenancy?
: Is a real estate atty a good idea?

: thanks much

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name