Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Account Frozen

Posted by Lilly on August 24, 2001 at 14:36:27:

In Reply to: Account Frozen posted by Brunilda Ruiz on August 24, 2001 at 13:04:23:

Did you owe rent when you moved out of that apt? Do you still have the cancelled checks from the rent you paid as well as your old lease-all to prove you paid all monies due under that lease.
Are you positive you never received any papers regarding this? Have you moved again since you moved out of that place 11 years ago? They may have sent the papers to your old address. When you didn't show up for the court appearance, a default judgement was entered against you. Go to your bank and ask them for a copy of the restraining notice-that will give you the caption( who vs. who) and case number. You have to go down to the court and look up the case, then fill out an order to show cause to vacate the default judgement and/or set aside the judgement that has already been entered agianst you/(?). Look for an affidavit of service. Since they will claim that you were properly served, there should be an affidavit on that in the file, signed by whoever served you, and how you were served. I hope I'm steering you in the right direction, because I'm not a lawyer-but I do know that the clerks down at the courthouse are pretty knowledgeable about procedure and should be able to tell you what forms to fill out. I'm sure somebody on this site knows more about this than I do. Or, you could consult with an attorney.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name