Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Overflow of suds & dirty water out of kitchen sink drain due to an above tenant's use of a personal washing machine.

Posted by Celeste on August 24, 2001 at 14:09:05:

My family & I have been living in this apt complex since May, 1973. It has 60 units and it was built around 1950. It is located in Brooklyn, NY. My problem is since we have been residing in this Apt from 1990, someone over us on the same line has a washing machine & whenever they are using it, their suds, dirty water and filth comes up out of my kitchen sink drain, onto my countertop & onto the floor. I have told the former management of this numerous times from the beginning. He said he would look into it, but there was no change. The building has been taken over by new management and they say that they do not know who it is, and it is a difficult process--so on & so on. Do I have to live like this? The building does not have the right pipes for a machine so everyone knows they are not supposed to have one, yet someone does.
Suds, dirty water & debris came up and out of my kitchen drain & onto my floor all day yesterday and it is was a total mess. This has been going on for over 10 years. It is not fair that I have to pay my rent for all these years & at the same time share my sink with someone's fiflth. This can go on during the day, week, morning or night. Please let me know what I can do about this? This has been a very frustating, stressful situation. It inconvenient & it is unhealthy. What is the landlord's responsibility about this? What are they suppposed to do when a tenant has a washing machine?? Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name