Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord isn't following lease

Posted by Chris S. on August 24, 2001 at 14:09:01:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord isn't following lease posted by Chris G on August 23, 2001 at 18:26:25:

Well Chris G., that's the problem...I was taking her word for the condition of the apt. because I was in Texas when I agreed to the lease. She mislead me over the phone and made no comments about the stains or the carpeting. I guess we live and we learn. Thanks for commenting on my questions...Have a great day!

: unfortunately, a lotta landlords view their properties like a kid's clubhouse instead of someone's home, and so there is often a lack of aesthetics one would like to have. but a stain, some yanked up carpeting and some inconsistencies in paint are not the end of the world. theoretically these are things you could have noticed when originally looking at the apartment, before you signed the lease.

: if these are the only problems with your place, be glad. now if you water or gas or electric didn't work, then you'd have something universally recognized as landlord negligence. why not ask the LL if its okay to repaint the walls yourself? can you tack down the carpet again?

: as for the inventory sheet, make a list of the descrepancies and see if your LL would mind filling out a new form. usually the best way to handle such LLs is to approach it with a sense of compromise.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name