Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: New tenants moved in before lease expired

Posted by Kevin on August 24, 2001 at 10:47:49:

In Reply to: New tenants moved in before lease expired posted by Tom Grydeland on August 10, 2001 at 11:59:27:

I don't know NH law, but as far as I know, it is illegal to double rent an apartment. Start doing your research and looking for a lawyer if the landlord doesn't refund your money. Send a certified letter to him stating that you have proof the new tenant moved in while you were still paying for rent and that you are owed 1/2 that month. Give him a reasonable number of days to refund you. Then . . . if he doesn't . . .nail his @ss to the wall!
Good luck!

: I recently rented a condo for a year in Nashua, NH. I had no trouble with the landlord, and I don't believe I caused the landlord any trouble either. A few months before the expiration of the lease, I realised I would vacate the unit two weeks before the end of the contract, and I informed the landlord. I was told that if a new tenant could be found that would move in in the middle of the month, I would be refunded the 1/2 month rent, otherwise I'd have to pay to the end of the lease. A new tenant was found, and seemed eager to move in immediately. When I presented the landlord with the keys as I moved out, I was told that the new tenant wouldn't move in until the beginning of the next month after all, so I wouldn't be refunded.

: Later, I received a written notice from the management company regarding a complaint from neighbours which must have been filed the same day or the day after I had moved out. Obviously a new tenant has moved in while my lease is still valid, and during a period I was still paying rent for the unit.

: I have two questions:

: 1) Is this legal?
: 2) Is there anything I can do to be refunded according to the agreement with the landlord?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name