Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: DHCR Decision...question

Posted by dj on August 24, 2001 at 10:45:26:

In Reply to: DHCR Decision posted by JayCee on August 23, 2001 at 20:03:35:

Was it used as an office or the landlords family...?

what was the history of the apartment?

The 1997 regulations state if it was exempt for 4 years then the landlord can charge a first rent, and you have to file a fair market rent appeal.

what is your rent? and what is the rent in the other apartments?

: New York City Rent Stabilized Apartment?

: I filed an overcharge complaint against my LL in Feb. Today, I received the DHCR decision to deny my complaint. While the LL never informed me that the apartment was stabilized, never provided me with a stabilization rider, never issued a rent calculation worksheet, never informed me of my rights under the stabilization laws, and hadn't filed any annual registrations in 13 years - he somehow prevailed at the DHCR.

: Through pure luck the apartment was vacant 4 years ago (base date) and the DHCR accepted that rent as the legal regulated rent even though this figure was not based on any previous rent history.

: My question is this: Rent aside - the LL clearly (and knowingly) disobeyed the laws concerning rent stabilization and issuance of vacancy leases. Can I now sue him in District Court for his illegal actions? Do I need to show damages? Isn't the landlore bound to obey the laws even if he 'happens' to be charging the correct rent?

: Thanks to all for your help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name