Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: stabilized rooms?

Posted by Provost on August 22, 2001 at 23:37:04:

In Reply to: stabilized rooms? posted by Cory on August 22, 2001 at 22:55:18:

Stabilization does apply to roomming houses, they are covered under a seperate law, and are known as SRO's (single room occupancy) They receive much lower increases (2% the last few years).

At one time SRO's provided a solid room for working class folks and newcomers to the city. However they have long since been regulated out of existence. No new SROs have been built since the 1940's, and those that remain are generally run by nonprofits for the benefit of persons in certain programs (such as former homeless, drug adicts, etc.)

: I have a question: are only full apartments -- that is with kitchen -- stabilized, or does stabilization also apply to rooms in rooming houses which are over 6 units per building and built during the stabilization time period (I forgot when this is).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name