Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Buildings Department should Certify Artists?? Get real.

Posted by Provost on August 22, 2001 at 23:31:01:

In Reply to: Re: Buildings Department should Certify Artists?? Get real. posted by Seymour Duncan on August 22, 2001 at 22:49:40:

Hello Abe/Seymour/Whoever

Yes Houston is different from New York. Take your pick on which is better. But it is a fact that housing in Houston is very inexpensive. And Houston is a fast growing, thriving city, whereas New York stagnated thru the 70's and 80's. But I digress.

If you could prove that ARTISTS and ARTISTS ALONE were responsible for reviving SoHo, you might prove some sort of "ethical" point. But I think a whole lot of people from other occuptions (especially carpenters, plumbers, electricians, RE investors) played a big role in reviving SoHo. So get off your "certified artist" pedestal.

What the law did is carve out a special exemption from otherwise restrictive laws for "certified artists". Of course the law is not enforced, it is patently unenforceable to have a policy that purports to "certify" who is actually an "artist" and who isn't, especially when being a "certified artist" carries certain privledges that other occupations don't get.

Yes entertainment and art are different. I'm entertaintained by your defense of ridiculous laws that require government agencies to judge art.

I don't think artists of any type should have to prove themselves to city bureaucrats in order to live in a SoHo loft. Let the public (individuals) decide the quality or artwork and the qualfications of artists -- not the government !

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name