Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Oil fumes/smell in apt and hall

Posted by Tim on August 22, 2001 at 23:27:04:

In Reply to: Re: Oil fumes/smell in apt and hall posted by courtwatcher on August 15, 2001 at 23:32:41:

Thanks very much to both of you for the info.
I appreciate it.

As far as the lease is concerned -- like a number of people out
there -- when I first moved in, the landlord and I were on very good terms. Unfortunately, I didn't follow what I've been taught: get it in writing!

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Tim

: Boilers are required to be inspected (by LandLord) one time per year; this is a code requirement through Dept. of Bldgs.
: Records for your building will show if this has taken place; violations might be issued to the LL if boiler has not been properly inspected / certified.
: The NY Fire Department might be interested in a situation like this; their aim is to avoid fire situations. You can contact your local FDNY station house and request an inspection (and if the door to the boiler room is left open by LL, then access for the inspector shouldn't be a problem).
: Curious: Why do you not have a lease? You open yourself to so many more legal problems when you don't have a contract.
: Is building rent stabilized? Check the building records. You might have more rights than you are aware of.

:
: : Most officials don't seem to care about the 'oil fumes' either because the average person doensn't get sick from them, just us petro-sensitive types... or because there might not be any laws/codes concerning how much is too much...

: : However: call the NYC Dept of Health: where there's oil fumes there's usually deadly carbon monoxide. This they care about very much.

: : Also: it is a violation of the Fire Code, the Building Code, the HMC and probably the MDL to leave the door to the boiler room oopen. That door is required to be a fire door and it is very illegal to prop open a fire door. Call Central Complaints, a/k/a/ the no-Heat line.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name