Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Additional questions...answer

Posted by dj on August 22, 2001 at 12:25:15:

In Reply to: Additional questions posted by Wes Alwan on August 22, 2001 at 11:44:20:

First DONT move out.!!!!!!!!

Second....is this rent controlled or rent stabilized? eg what is the total rent?

Third you could claim an illusory sublet, and possibly force the landlord to honor your tenancy, at a new stabilzed rent.

we need all the details, how did you find the place, is this your first NYC rental, did you come from out of state? is your name on the mailbox/ buzzer ? does the super know your name......did you sign a sublease or anything with the tenant? did you pay by check?

The courts will look for anything that shows you knew this was illegal, so they can evict you.....You have to prove you are an innocemt victim.

: I found out via court documents that the tenant makes a significant profit on rent; I know that by law if I were a subletter this profit would be illegal. I'm wondering if tenants can charge roommates what they like? Do roommates (not on the lease) have any rights--and, if I have some dispute with the primary tenant can I be evicted by that tenant carte blanche?

: Thanks for any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name