Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

NYC Department of Buildings LAWSUIT

Posted by Abe Lincoln on August 22, 2001 at 09:24:53:

I'm putting together a group of artists and small business owners to instigate a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against the NYC DOB for not enforcing existing CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCIES in SOHO and NOHO.

As a small business owner, it's hard to compete with high-income residential rent. CERTIFIED artists are the only people that should legitimately be living in commercial lofts. The rest of the lofts SHOULD be rented to small businesses, galleries, etc.

A NYC realtor told me that only 10% of the co-op boards that require artist certification actually ask for it for it's residences. Various NYC realtors have shown me commercial spaces and said... "it's ok to live here if you want... the landlord won't mind." Even though it breaks C of O.

I'm mad that zoning laws are being broken and I want to make a change. I've contacted various lawyers and have been compiling a list of specific violators. Again, I'm not going after specific co-ops, just the DOB for not enfocing the law.

thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name