Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: DHCR Registration - Overcharge?

Posted by SamE on August 19, 2001 at 22:49:05:

In Reply to: DHCR Registration - Overcharge? posted by Owen on August 17, 2001 at 11:26:21:

: It could have been if he had done around $55k worth of improvements (1/40 of the improvements would have been around ~$1500). He did gut the 900 sq. ft. apt, put in new floors, a wall to make the 1 bedroom into a 2 bedroom, and new appliances in the kitchen, but could he really have spent $55,000 on renovations? What's a more likely figure?

The question is: how much can he prove to DHCR or to court, not how much he may or may not have actually spent.......

: If the apt. was actually rent controlled before I moved in, then I'm the first rent stabilized tenant, and I should file a Fair Market Rent Appeal. If it was rent stabilized, then I should file an overcharge. But I can't find out for sure what it was unless I file a Freedom of Information to get the DHCR to look in the archives, but then the landlord will be notified of what I am doing.

Get the whole Rent History 1984-2001; then you'll know when it moved form rent control to rent stab. You don't need to wait for a FOIL for this. If the tenant immediately before you was controlled, you get to file a FMRA, not an O/C. Read about these in the DHCR section on tenant.net or on dhcr.state.ny.us

And use the search here for earlier discussions, and in the Housing court section for for insights.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name