Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord Harassment

Posted by john wombacher on August 16, 2001 at 01:58:37:

In Reply to: Landlord Harassment posted by Marlena on August 07, 2001 at 02:57:03:

: I am in the middle of a court dispute with my landlady and have been documenting instances of harassment so that I can get an order of protection, which in NY is virtually impossible without an actual arrest (and arrests are not usually made for harassment).

: The harassment has moved on to an entirely different level. The landlady has now begun to file false police reports and false complaints to government agencies about me. I have received calls from detectives and postal inspectors about mail tampering, drug dealing, and other nonsense. Some of the false accusations made against me have taken place in open court in the course of our lawsuit, for example, just last week this woman told a judge, clerk and HPD inspector that I routinely open her mail and steal or tamper with her disability checks, which is a boldfaced lie. The judge dismissed her claim as irrelevant and gave her a warning.

: How do I begin a lawsuit for slander/defamation of character against this landlady? I am assuming this entails bringing a complaint to the criminal court, but I have been told by the cops that this is a landlord and tenant dispute. The police, when I make a formal complaint at the precinct, call the behavior "harassment" rather than "slander."

: I know this post site is for landlord and tenant stuff, but I'm sure people have dealt with some of this stuff before and if anone can point me in the right direction or give me an idea of how to address this problem without punching my landlady's lights out, I'd appreciate it.

: Is there a way to find out if any other complaints have been filed against me with either the police or a government agency, that maybe I don't know about yet?

I am in a very similar situation with my landlord and have tried to get an order of protection, although your landlady is more of a piece of work than mine. Get a lawyer, mine has saved my skin and he's been well worth the price, sorry I cant help with your precise questions, best of luck and feel free to call me, maybe we can give each other some support, John 212-686-4753.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name