Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Don't pay rent

Posted by MikeW on August 15, 2001 at 13:39:18:

In Reply to: loft troubles posted by goodboy on August 15, 2001 at 12:01:30:

Keep up your rent strike. If he threatens to sue, threaten to rat him out to the city. If there isn't an outright safety problem, they'd most likely leave you alone, but I'd bet they'd be pretty quick to slap a stop work order on the building. Also, since this is an illegal conversion situation, I don't think he can go into housing court. He'd have to sue you in State Supreme court, which is a much longer and more expensive process. You could probably duck and cover for a year or two without paying rent.

: i have a two yrt lease in a loft warehouse in Brooklyn. I signed a comm. lease, but the the LL assured me the building was legal for living, the apt. came with a bathroom, kitchen, and laundry down the hall. A few months ago he started construction in the rest of the building, converting all floors to apartments (90 in total) to be completed in 3 months. The noise has been unbearable and at nights and on weekends. Also the workers are knocking out the old windows for replacement with hammers and the glass has fallen on my girlfriend twice while she was on our roofdeck. After lying to me about what he was doing, and ignoring my complaints about the noise and glass I did some investigating and found out that he is in violation of the C of O, does not have any work permits, and the building is not legal for occupancy. I have not paid rent since all this started (about three months ago). He threatened to sue. Any advice?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name