Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

lost half of my garage rights after 5 years

Posted by Cheryl H. on August 11, 2001 at 14:53:21:

When my husband and I rented our house in Merced, CA we rented it because we were told that the house was seperate from the front property and we would also have half of the backyard. We have lived in relative peace for five years and have had two rent increases in that time, but we never complained. Now the owner and property manager would like us to vacate 1/2 half of the garage under our house to make the front house more attractive to the front tenants that will be moving in. We have been in possesion of the whole building for 5 1/2 years and have only been late on our rent once (1 day). I am 7 months pregnant with my only child and I do not want to have someone in my home. Also, the whole building is wired to my electrical bill. I don't feel that I should have to come to an agreement with the front tenats to pay part of my electrical bill should they use half of my garage. This is not why we moved to this house and we explained that when we first rented the house and were told by the property manager and the owner that we were renting the building not just part of it. Should I still have to pay the rent for the whole building and the electric for something i'm not able to use? Can they suddenly change their verbal agreement with me and my husband. I have witnesses to the conversation with the owner and the current front tenant has also signed an agreement that when she moved in 4 years ago, she was told that she did not get part of our garage because we were renting the whole back building.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name