Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: REALLY FRUSTRATED – Please read & comment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by me on August 11, 2001 at 02:03:36:

In Reply to: REALLY FRUSTRATED – Please read & comment!!!!!!!!!!!! posted by yudesca on August 10, 2001 at 20:37:32:

Some basic facts aren't clear from your post, and people seem to be guessing about them. How much rent are you paying? Why do you feel you were overcharged?
You are not going to get very good responses if you are not clear. Instead you go on about feeling disappointed, etc. Keep in mind that the DHCR is a state agency staffed almost entirely by morons and mediocrities. However, you can get a fair decision from them now and then, and when it comes to overcharges the penalties are severe. If you feel you were overcharged, then complain. Disregard idiotic suggesitons that if you are happy you should forget about it. If you are being ripped off, file a complaint.

: I was advised to get a rent history because I felt that my landlord was overcharging me. On the rent history, I noticed a jump from $498 to $823 on a rent stabilized apt. I called DHCR and they advised me to come in and show my papers for a counselor to review.

: I just got back from the DHCR office in Manhattan very disappointed. The counselor was not very supportive and in certain instances he “shut me down”. I felt like I was having a discussion with my landlord. I thought they were there to help me not make me feel like I was an idiot!!!

: Anyway his comment was that there is no way of him finding out whether or not the jump in rent was legal until I file a complaint because the history only went as far as 84’. I told him that I was not going to lose anything filing the complaint and at least I would be at ease with whatever decision was granted. He told me to keep in mind that I would be pissing the landlord off!! I told him I was sure of that but am willing to suffer the consequences.

: I was on Housingnyc.com’s site and came across a vacancy calculator and plugged in all my dates and #’s. I went back as far as 1970 with the $498 rent and even included $2000 for oven and fridge (which I doubt he spent!). According to that calculator, he is entitled to raise the rent 46.5%, which comes up to $724. So if the tenant paying $498 when she left occupied this apt after 1970 why is he raising the rent so much?

: My lease is up for renewal now so I will sign it and return it before I file my complaint. It’s worth a try!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name