Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

REALLY FRUSTRATED – Please read & comment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by yudesca on August 10, 2001 at 20:37:32:

I was advised to get a rent history because I felt that my landlord was overcharging me. On the rent history, I noticed a jump from $498 to $823 on a rent stabilized apt. I called DHCR and they advised me to come in and show my papers for a counselor to review.

I just got back from the DHCR office in Manhattan very disappointed. The counselor was not very supportive and in certain instances he “shut me down”. I felt like I was having a discussion with my landlord. I thought they were there to help me not make me feel like I was an idiot!!!

Anyway his comment was that there is no way of him finding out whether or not the jump in rent was legal until I file a complaint because the history only went as far as 84’. I told him that I was not going to lose anything filing the complaint and at least I would be at ease with whatever decision was granted. He told me to keep in mind that I would be pissing the landlord off!! I told him I was sure of that but am willing to suffer the consequences.

I was on Housingnyc.com’s site and came across a vacancy calculator and plugged in all my dates and #’s. I went back as far as 1970 with the $498 rent and even included $2000 for oven and fridge (which I doubt he spent!). According to that calculator, he is entitled to raise the rent 46.5%, which comes up to $724. So if the tenant paying $498 when she left occupied this apt after 1970 why is he raising the rent so much?

My lease is up for renewal now so I will sign it and return it before I file my complaint. It’s worth a try!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name