Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is it worth it ?

Posted by - on August 10, 2001 at 19:38:42:

In Reply to: Re: old stove posted by Dawn on August 10, 2001 at 12:35:00:

Do use common sense when trying to make a "point" to the landlord. No landlord is going to complain about you leaving a new stove. Do you realistically expect to move into another apartment with no stove ?

Used stoves are cheap, you get them at used appliance stores. The main problem is lugging them all the way up to your apartment (or paying someone to lug it up for you.) May not be worth the effort.

: That sounds like a good idea. While it sounds good, I could not attach the junky stove though just for protective reasons -- what if that's a hazard of some sort in the stove? I don't want to be responsible if anything bad happens and I can't prove it...

: Perhaps I'll put in an old stove but without attaching it. There is one sitting in our basement and it's been there for years. The LL has since sold the building.

: How much does a used stove cost anyways? Can it cost as much as a new one?

: : If the LL told you to throw out the old stove, and you can prove it--you have voicemail or whatever--then fine. It helps. But it seems to me that if you leave the apartment without a stove, the landlord is going to sue you. I know, it's wrong etc., but that is the risk you run. I dont know the legal principle. All I know is that landlords sue under such circumstances.
: : So here's an idea. Why not take your new stove with you and replace it with any old junky stove you can find? As long as it is hooked up to the gas, if it is a gas stove, I dont see how the LL can sue you.
: : How can he prove it isn't the old one?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name