Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: old stove

Posted by Dawn on August 09, 2001 at 12:32:47:

In Reply to: old stove posted by chelsea on August 09, 2001 at 06:28:14:

I heard that one has to keep the old stove, whether or not it works, somewhere. Which is why I wrote the LL specifically about it. That way, whatever happens, I have the papertrail to prove it. The LL refused to remove it, repair it or replace it with a used but working one and we went back and forth for several years before we even got to the issue of removal. The issue of removal took several months on top of the years of waiting for any kind of resolution for a working stove. The LL never wrote back, just left nasty phone messages about getting someone else in the building to move it for me or get my boyfriend to move it. Right. I wrote LL on those specific suggestions of LL's, and responded only LL could do so. Since LL couldn't make use it, it would have to be sent to trash anyway. LL left phone message to give permission to remove the stove myself so I had the super help me remove it and it was picked up by sanitation.

I'm thinking that I have enough correspondence and the voicemail recordings of LL giving permission to get rid of the stove that will not force me to leave my stove behind. Will I still have to pay extra?

: I know it may sound a bit ridiculous, but did you save the old stove? You're supposed to leave the stove that was there, or a close equivalent. Of course, assuming you're in NY, who has room to keep a non-functioning old stove, but that's the best thing to do.

: : I've lived in my rent stabilized apartment for almost a decade. I've had my stove replaced myself after much letter writing to the LL for help, only to get nasty calls from the LL and LL doing nothing to help. I had to pay for it out of my own pocket (wrote LL a letter on that) and now have all the correspondence and notes of conversations with LL (mostly of LL being rude) locked safely away. I have no intentions of leaving my beautiful stove behind as I paid for it from my own pocket and did not deduct anything from the rent for reduction of services. LL got his rent on time regardless and I have paid for any renewal amounts since. I'm confident to leave the apartment, when I do, with my stove intact.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name