Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Getting an extra front door key from Landlord - please advise

Posted by Harry Cho on August 07, 2001 at 10:19:24:

In Reply to: Re: Getting an extra front door key from Landlord - please advise posted by Ben on August 06, 2001 at 22:28:16:

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I will do as you say.

They did inform me that if I lost my front door key, a replacement key would be issued for $50. I don't feel right saying I "lost" my key to get a new one so I'll try an honest letter to them and just have to pay the ridiculous sum of $50 for an extra key. Such is life in the big city.

Thanks again and regards,
Harry
: : Landlord will not issue an extra front door key (I cannot copy the key without a code) - says only has to for people on the lease (currently, just me). I live in a rent stabilized studio apartment. When I renew my lease, is adding a person (i.e. sister/mother) to the lease easy enough or can I just say they are a roommate and get a key that way? I haven't seen anything compelling a landlord to give keys to a roommate. All I want to have is a extra key for visiting family/friends.

: : Thanks for any advice you may have,
: : Harry

:
: Adding someone to your lease will result in him or her being legally responsible for your rent and will turn your renewal lease into a vacancy lease and increase your rent permanently by 18-20%.

: Saying you have a roommate will probably irritate the landlord if your application stated only you would live there; although you have an absolute right to have a roommate, this might be an invitation to trouble.

: I suggest you write him a polite but firm letter requesting the second key with an offer to pay the cost of the key; tell him your mother is coming to visit in ten days and she needs to be able to come and go while you're at work. Your landlord is being very unreasonable but I've never heard of anything to force him to give you that second key.

: Another tactic: find some written authority (start with our own NYPD on http://nyc.gov) which advises us to have that second key to give to a friend or neighbor in case we get mugged or are in an accident... so someone can get into our apartment and get our health insurance card to bring to the emergency room! or water our plants while we're on vacation, etc.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name