Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Broker's Fee

Posted by me on August 07, 2001 at 01:52:45:

In Reply to: Broker's Fee posted by Tenant on August 06, 2001 at 16:50:11:

I am not 100% sure, but my understanding is that a broker cannot charge under these circumstances. YOU found the apartment. The broker did nothing.

I would suggest carefully documenting everything, and check with Attorney General's office or whoever regulates brokers. Get a definitive answer. Assuming I am right, pay the fee. If you dont, you wont get a lease. You have no choice. Once you get the lease, and have moved in, at your leisure demand a refund of the broker fee. Sue in small claims court if you dont get it. Be sure you can document you found the apartment yourself. Print out the classified ads.

But dont make even the slightest fuss now. The rental market is just too tight.

: I recently moved into a new apartment. I found it amongst public classified ads on a local website, and rang the number and arranged an appointment. I was shown around the space on offer by the landlord/manager of the building and explained that I was very interested in taking the apartment lease. Then, all of a sudden, a broker appeared and I dealt with him from then onwards. Now he's asking for his fee and I just wondered if he was entitled to the full-amount or whether I could offer less as he didn't exactly find me the place.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name