Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: please help major mold in redhook ny

Posted by bill on August 06, 2001 at 01:26:03:

In Reply to: please help major mold in redhook ny posted by bill on August 06, 2001 at 00:51:50:

: we just moved in this apartment in april. We have no provision in out lease to run a dehumidifier and the landlord has never said anything. Over the past two months our apartment has been infested with mold to the extent that we cant sleep in our bedroom. My wife and I have been sleeping in our livingroom. Our landlord put in a claim to his insurance but refuses to do anything about it or reduce rent until his insurance decides on what to do. He tried to get us to lie to his insurance and commit insurance fraud but we refused. He told us to put up with it or else we can move out. I dont want to get kicked out by complaining and dont know what to do. We like it
ear but he is so cheap that he wont do anything. all of our furniture in the bedroom is ruined and he says he wont replace it. there are four apartments is this building and he owns like seventeen buildings. we have a written lease. I dont know if I am rent controlled or what. It looks like his insurance wont cover the cost and he says he will not do anything until his insurance runs tests. It has been a month since his insurance came and two months since we told him what has been going on. He says if we are unhappy then we can get out of the lease and leave. I dont want to leave from this place cause I am not from here and will only be here about three years and have pets. The area is perfect and was great until this mold started. I read the tenant rights but dont want to get kicked out cause we complained. Do we have the right to stay and then complain also. WHAT DO WE DO

I also want to add that my lease wont be up till april of 2002. I dont know but if we complain do he have to right to not allow us to renew becuase Im sure he will be pissed off. Oh and concerning the health reasons, I figure I should add he is a doctor from one of those arabian countries or something. I figure he can refuse to allow us to renew our lease if we complain. Does he or we have any rights to fight is he does that.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name