Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: legal reasons for eviction?

Posted by Ben on August 04, 2001 at 21:37:31:

In Reply to: legal reasons for eviction? posted by jules on August 04, 2001 at 12:46:48:

: I am the primary tenant in a New York City rent-stabilized apartment with a one year lease and a very nosy and invasive super. Since May, I have had a room mate, who pays a portion of the rent. She has been the primary resident there this summer, as I have been traveling, doing research, which my super knows. When I return in the fall, I plan to continue paying a portion of the rent at my apartment, but to spend most of my time at my significant other's across town. I also plan to move some of my belongings there. I will keep my mail & phone at my primary address. I may eventually completely move in with my lover, but am not sure and don't want to give up apt. Is this legal?

in rent stabilization, you are required to use the apartment as your PRIMARY residence. Look it up. 'non-primary' residency is what your landlord might sue to evict you for. Go back to the homepage, push the NY Tenant Button: time to educate yourself.

Later, use all these search boxes to see what kind of trouble you can get into: the Housing Court pages are filled with these cases.

ps: yes, we rent stabilized people have every right to live normal lives including taking extended vacations, travel for business, sleeping at lovers' houses... but landlords are just itching to move us out of our homes to charge the next guy double our rents.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name