Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Reply to Lilly Re: Process Server

Posted by Dayann on August 01, 2001 at 09:31:58:

In Reply to: Re: Question re: Notice of Termination & Process Server Rules posted by Lilly on August 01, 2001 at 05:14:39:

I rent the first floor apt. of a private 2 family house. The LL does not live in the house, but across the street from us in another house which she also rents out. In order to get to my apt. you have to use a key to first get into the house, and then use another key at the apartment door. The landlord gave the process server the keys to both the house and my apartment. The process server then used the keys to open the front door of the house, and proceeded to go down the hall, bang on my door, and he was in the process NOT of taping the papers to my door, but of using the landlords keys to OPEN the apartment door, when I opened it for him and took the papers. When I asked the process server how he got into the building, he held up my landlady's keys (I recognized the keychain) and said "your landlord".

I was actually very happy to get the Notice of TErmination and even offered the guy a glass of iced tea and asked him if he wanted me to sign something proving that I got the papers. I said, "I bet I'm the nicest, most cooperative person you served today." He nodded, laughed, said yes, declined the cold drink and left.

My question is was it legal for the LL to give the process server the keys to the house instead of going with the process server and opening the door for him. Was it legal for her to give him the keys to my apartment, and was it legal for him to TAKE the keys to my apartment from her?

Doesn't seem legal, for the LL to give the keys to both the building and the apt. to third parties especially if she isn't supervising them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name