Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Advice to Landlords

Posted by Dayann on August 01, 2001 at 02:50:14:

At the risk of being labelled a sellout, I just want to issue some advice to landlords, specifically homeowners who rent apartments in 2 family houses or 3 families where they themselves also live.

Before you renovate a house and start renting it out to those outside of your family, do yourself a favor and research the law. You can do it on the internet or go to the bookstore and buy NOLO or other self help legal reference books, many come complete with forms (make sure that you get the latest edition in case the law has changed).

It is really sad when a person is ignorant of the law and thinks that just because he or she owns a house that he or she can do, or treat tenants, any way he or she chooses. Then when the tenants get fed up and haul the landlord into court, or when the landlord tries to haul the tenant into court for something and looks stupid in front of the judge (or worse, annoys the judge with claims and arguments that have no legal merit or are irrelevant to the issue at hand), it is not only sad but morally debilitating, and a waste of time and money.

Renting apartments is a business. Any individual who is prudent and has common sense researches the market, and reads a little bit or asks an attorney about the laws governing the business he or she wants to start prior to investing.

Even though I know that what I am doing is right under the circumstances, part of me feels very sorry for my landlord.

Nuff said.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name