Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Really Clueless

Posted by Ronin on August 02, 2001 at 01:27:55:

In Reply to: Re: Really Clueless posted by the real richard on July 27, 2001 at 22:02:35:

Perhaps the people complaining are the people who are there now who stuck through the rough times and are now being displaced by individuals who proudly trumpet:

"[I]n 10 or 15 years the majority of its residents will be white."

A statement that has so many uncivilized overtones to it (for instance the embedded assumption that the above statement is a 'good' thing and the racist undertones of such an assumption.)

But aside from the race issue in Harlem, the contemptous displacement of long-term residents is the most pernicious evil of our housing system. It's taking place city-wide and it's outrageous. And the new arrivals in these various neighborhoods don't seem to understand or care about the people and small businesses that they are chasing out of the neighborhood. What you have left is a sterile environment, with the same chain stores as any cheap strip mall, that lacks the unique diversity of people and variety of small businesses that makes NYC so attractive in the first place.

Then, being selfish, narcissistic, and generally unaware of their environments, they don't even notice when the developers gain approval to clear them out in favor of luxury condos, stadiums, or other projects.

: I said it 2 years ago, Harlem is the place to be to make MONEY!!!
: Because in 10 or 15 years the majority of its residents will be white.

: So... Why didnt i take my own advice?

: Harlem has all the things you want close to work in midtown or downtown, actaully places to park a car. Nice old buildings that DONT have paper thin walls.

: Lots of people have doubled or tripled their investments, and what is so wrong with that?

: Crime is way down and car breakins are not a major problem I feel safe to walk on 125th St again.... so who are the people that are complaining?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name