Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

overcharging in an illegal sublet?

Posted by curious on July 30, 2001 at 12:58:51:

Hi, I've just found out that I have been overcharged in an illegal sublet. I have been subletting an apt. for a year now, and know that it is an illegal sublet because I never signed a sublet lease and know the prime tenant never notified the management company. Most of the discussions regarding overcharging concerns rent stabilized apts, this apt. is not rent stabilized. I understand that this sort of overcharging happens all the time and wouldn't mind if it were not for certain aggravating situations which have occurred during my occupancy. My question is if I notify the management company that the prime tenant is illegally subletting, could the prime tenant get evicted? I will be moving out soon anyways, so don't care if I get evicted too. I just want to try using this tactic to get some of the money I have been overcharged back by threatening to get him evicted. I could also stop paying rent (I pay the prime tenant directly) to regain the money, but in that case, how fast could he evict an illegal subletter?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name