Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: nothing signed, but still refuses to return security deposit

Posted by Lilly on July 26, 2001 at 23:56:36:

In Reply to: nothing signed, but still refuses to return security deposit posted by Indiana Tenant on July 26, 2001 at 22:59:02:

You have to send them a letter, certified mail, return receipt, requesting the return of the security deposit. I have a feeling they aren't going to give it back to you without a fight, so, being the "creative" person I believe myself to be, you take them to small claims court. They will lie, so you tell the judge: "Your Honor, they refuse to return my security deposit."
(They will of course say it isn't refundable)
"They told me they would send me the lease and they never did, and when you kept asking about the lease they finally told you that they rented out the apartment to someone else!!!"
If you make the deposit and then refuse to sign a lease they have a right to keep the deposit.
If you sign a lease and then never move in, they have a right to keep the deposit and hold you to the lease.
If you made the deposit and then they refused to give you a lease, they have no right to keep the deposit.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name