Posted by MikeW on July 26, 2001 at 16:21:31:
In Reply to: Old wiring=fire hazard? posted by Nick on July 26, 2001 at 11:27:43:
If the LL gets violations, he MAY fix them. However, if the house is just old, some of the substandard systems may be grandfathered in.
: I live in a RS apartment in Queens. There is only one fuse for each apartment and the wiring doesn't appear to be grounded. Yesterday I was told not to use my air conditioner, presumeably because of fire concerns due to the ancient wiring.
: My LL is notoriously cheap and has always known of this potential problem. Now there is an immediate safety risk and her answer is to stop us from using our AC in late July.
: I've only lived here for a year and I've noticed several other problems, such as:
: * A lack of sufficent heat in the winter,
: * Water build up on the roof, causing sagging,
: * Peeling paint containing lead and mercury,
: * Paints and solvents, containing lead and mercury, stored in a sealed cabinet in my apartment.
: This is my first apartment in NYC and I've never had any such problems before. If anyone has any helpful advice, I'd appreciate it.
: Also, if anyone knows of any other dog-friendly apartments for rent, please let me know.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup