Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Owner is asking for balloon payment: stabilized?

Posted by SamE on July 24, 2001 at 23:00:28:

In Reply to: Owner is asking for balloon payment posted by Bronx Resident on July 24, 2001 at 13:49:38:

: We live in the Bronx. Our building went through a hostile take-overs. In the process, our rent went down $250 due to lead poisoning. Now, the take-overs are over and the new landlord sent us a bill for an extra $1100 to cover the mistakes of the past owners. Apparently, everyone in the building got one. Also, they've raised our rent back up to original rate.

: Please help. Is this legal? I'm from California where our laws are so tenant oriented that I'm completely dumbfounded. What groups can I reach to? Lawyer necessary?

The missing info: is the apartment rent stabilized??

It sounds like it must be due to the rent reduction.

If you already know, then goto the N Y Tenant section on tenant.net and read about our rent regulations.

Call DHCR, see if your apartment is registerd as stabilized. Or goto housingnyc.com online, there's a database by zipcode of buildings that are registered (which does not mean your apartment should be...)

If you are stabilized, then the new landlord probably can't increase your rent like that.

ps: if you used a real email adress, I think you get messages posted to this forum automatically.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name