Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Slumlord- I have no lease

Posted by Ace on July 24, 2001 at 10:36:35:

In Reply to: Slumlord- I have no lease posted by Victoria on July 24, 2001 at 09:28:22:

Have you put up notices in your local school/church about finding a place? Also, if you've been paying way low rent, then you will have to prepare to pay much more than what you currently pay, which I know is a depressing thought.

I would still report the LL, taking pictures with date and time stamped on them and report him to DHCR, Department of Health, etc. The LL is dependent on you tolerating the conditions because you both know it's illegal. Don't let LL take advantage of you anymore. Your health and safety and right to a clean secure home are not worth risking for a very cheap rent and miserable conditions. You are not some animal -- you have rights.

Do you have copies of receipts of all rent payments you made and to whom? Try to gather as much hard evidence as you can and report LL ASAP.

: I have been livng in a house in Brooklyn for the past 5 years without a lease. The landlord refuses to give us one. Basically, he is a slumlord- we had no heat all last winter(he then raised the rent to pay for the new heating unit) Recently, we had a flood in the basement, which took him almost 6 weeks for him to clean out. He now wants to charge us for the hauling of our damaged stuff.

: I feel the situation is very unstable. The household feels as though we have no rights and we do not want to turn him in for violations for the fear of eviction or the raising of the rent-if he wants he can evict us at any given moment.

: If he decided to evict our household how long it would take?
: Wuuld we have to go to court? Can I sue him for my property that was stored in the basement and got ruined? Can he enter the property as he pleases?

: Can yo email me with answers.. someone.. anyone?

: Also, If some kind soul knows knows of a studio or one bedroom, please help.

: A BIG thank you to all in advance.

: Victoria

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name