Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: To Withold rent or not?

Posted by link on July 24, 2001 at 08:53:02:

In Reply to: Re: To Withold rent or not? posted by snorkel on July 23, 2001 at 16:23:04:

: I've consulted with a few attorneys that advertise on this site. In both instances they have said I have a cut and dry case but "nothing is ever certain". Of course, they did not tell me to go it alone because I'm sure they could stand to profit a few pennies from me.

: One attorney told me if I go it alone, I should withold rent and let the LL take me to court. The other attorney wants to take it all the way to the supreme court. Aaarg!

Whadayamean 'all the way'? In NY, Supreme court is merely the name of the court where you start lawsuits. For money-only like yours, the lawsuit must be worth a minimum of $25K.

Your landlord owes you triple what he overcharged. You can afford a lawyer: think of it this way: the lawyer gets paid from this part of your winnings. The lawyers retainer can come from the first of second month's rent, if you stop paying the overcharge (don't do that until you have a lawyer and/or decide how to proceed)

ps: did you read the post by hawk in the archives here? good discussion on which court to chose for overcharge cases.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name