Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Is LL responsible for damages to personal property due to fire?

Posted by Daniel on July 20, 2001 at 10:05:19:

In Reply to: Re: Is LL responsible for damages to personal property due to fire? posted by Lilly on July 20, 2001 at 02:32:25:

I should have mentioned that we have had an inspector in the building (both before and after the fire), but all he seems to be interested in is if the electrical company is licensed, not the safety of their work. The cause of the fire was a bad junction box (previously installed) and the possibility that there are several of these dangerous boxes throughout the building is pretty high. We have loads of pictures.

I still need to know if the LL is responsible for my personal damages or not. I tried contacting a lawyer, but she wanted to charge $200 for a consultation, which would be reasonable if my damages were higher, but I'm only talking about approximately $500.

: Bureau of Electrical Control:(212)669-8338- that will tell you if they even have a permit. Take lots of photographs. Call HPD (212) 227-7000. Have everyone in the building call, again and again until an inspector comes. If you stop paying, LL will take you to court for non-payment; your defense is the fire. Do you know the cause of this fire? I would call, or better yet go to the fire department (your local fire station-not 911) and hopefully they will come look at what this guy is doing in the building. Try to get other people in the building to both call and hopefuly go with you. You must let the Fire department know that this is an "immediately hazardous" situation as these people are still working in the bldg. This is pretty scary stuff-stay on top of it-witholding rent should be the least of your worries.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name