Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate eviction

Posted by belinda on July 19, 2001 at 16:49:30:

My situation is as follows:

I have been asked to leave by my roommate. She is on the lease, I am not. I've been living in her apartment for almost three years, and it was agreed (verbally) between my roommate and I could stay as long as I choose. Putting my name on the lease was always an option, but one that I never opted for. Nonetheless, I pay 50% rent directly to the landlord and report directly to my landlord for apt. issues, repairs and what have you.

My roommate and I are relatively civil to one another. The few problems we've had have intensified over the years though not increased . In my view, her asking me to leave is more out of dissatisfaction with a relationship we DIDN'T have than anything else. This is all well and good, and I respect her feelings, except I don't agree with the manner by which she has chosen to express herself. Asking me to move is one thing (understandable whatever the reasons), telling me it has to be done in a short time frame irrespective of current and on-going unpreventable commitments that i have is not.

Moreover, compounding this situation, there is a friend of hers living with us currently. Her initial two week stay has turned into five months! When my roommate asked me to move out she also revealed that her friend would be moving into my room. This, after I had been more than kind, patient and tolerant with the situation-which, I might add, I was never consulted about-the assumption on the part of my roommate being that she never saw reason to consult with me on the matter.

My roommate's requests and accompanying deadlines make it difficult for me to comply given current time and financial obligations and constraints. Furthermore, I feel that I am being rushed into searching for alternative living arrangements so as to accommodate her friend as soon as possible. Moreover, considering the friend has not to date contributed to rent (note: my roommate and I had set prior rules concerning over-nite guests-guests staying beyond three weeks must contribute monetarily), I feel somewhat justified in contesting her request.

What are my options? From what I know so far, only the landlord can evict but with good reason. This brings me to my next question, what sort of roommate am I month-to-month? Also, am I entitled to ask that her friend move out?
I have good relations with the landlord, but so does my roommate since they've known her longer. My hope is that they don't get involved. But one never knows. How can I protect myself and ensure that I am not short-changed in any way?

Lastly, please understand that I am not refusing to move out. Infact, this is what i very much want. I was looking to move out beg. of next year and deem it virtually impossible to do so before this time.Thus my only option is to become familiar with my rights so I know what I can and can not do from this point.

Apologies for the length, advise appreciated!
Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name