Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Is LL responsible for damages to personal property due to fire?

Posted by Daniel on July 19, 2001 at 15:47:06:

In Reply to: Is LL responsible for damages to personal property due to fire? posted by Daniel on July 19, 2001 at 14:41:48:

Some additional information - I do not have renters insurance, the fire was clearly the fault of the electricians who were hired by the landlord, and the tenants had been resisting this work because the electricians did not seem competent. The building was built in 1900.

: I live in an E. Village rent stabilized apt. building (approx. 25 units) which has been undergoing rewiring for about 5 months now. Earlier this month there was an electrical fire in my apartment which resulted in serious damage to one of the walls and the ceiling in addition to about $500 - $1,000 worth of damage to my personal property. My main question is whether the landlord is responsible for compensating me for my property (he claims the electrical company is liable and not him). Also, am I obligated to pay my monthly rent in full even with a damaged but totally habitable apartment?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name