Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: How much can LL raise Rent by? zero

Posted by SamE on July 19, 2001 at 11:39:56:

In Reply to: How much can LL raise Rent by? posted by Wahgo Chang on July 19, 2001 at 11:17:47:

: I am renting a second floor unit from a homeowner. Our lease expired on July 16. I just received a letter from the LL that the rent will be raised by 30% on Aug 16 (it should be Aug 17 since I paid rent from Jly 17 to Aug 16 already). In the letter she stated raise in proerty tax, raise in water price and raise in fuel.

: First is that a reasonable to raise the rent by? Is there a limit on how much a non rent stab apartment can have the rent rasied by?

: Second, other than fuel are tax and water valid reasons? I thought tax do not increase unless the building have been reassessed and Don't remember hearing teh water being raise. In addition LL never provided much heat, This past winter the heat was on for 15 mins every 4 hours. I should had withhold rent from them as it did not meet the minimum under state law. Apt was like 50 deg.

: Third, they did not contact me until after the least expired. Does that have any bearing on their rights. Such as the original least will carry over under the same term?

: I am in Brooklyn. Thanks for any help.

your lease expired. you are now month-to-month. your landlord can only raise your rent with at least 30-days notice and then only if you agree to the increase. otherwise, he has to accept the old rent or start eviction proceedings.

read about this using the search feature right here in this forum for the terms I just used.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name