Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: divorce.

Posted by Ace on July 18, 2001 at 15:58:20:

In Reply to: divorce. posted by Kimberly on July 18, 2001 at 12:23:38:

I'm assuming that when the apartment was first rented that you were both together? In any case, if the lease is now under your name and your husband's name has been taken off, then he has no rights to the apartment anymore. You say he was trying to break in -- is his stuff still there, though? In order to make sure he doesn't have any more excuses to drop by or break in to your place, you may want to call on some movers to drive a truck of his stuff over to his place -- better yet, call your lawyer and ask what he/she would recommend about the removal of his personal belongings (meaning clothes, books, things he would use, not want to take out of spite and have no use for).

There are lawyers all over this site that can help you answer any further details you may have inadvertently left off your post (sometimes what one considers a "minor detail" may actually NOT be, so it's best to contact a lawyer who specializes in tenant rights).

Good luck.

: I am in the middle of a pretty messy divorce. We have been bicoastal for since 1997-during this time he has not been here at all and I have spent equal time between here and LA. We have a rent stabliized apartment in the E. Village. He has not signed the leases for the past five years. Recently he was arrested breaking into my apartment. He claims that it is his apartment since he was the first one who held the lease. He only lived here a 1/2 year when he first rented it and moved back into the building with me February of 1988. The lease has been switched to my name yet he claims to be the lease holder. He owns a house in Los Angeles. Does he have any rights to the apartment? Is there a place that I can go to and talk with someone?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name