Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Yeah, but it isn't illegal unless they get caught...

Posted by MikeW on July 18, 2001 at 11:08:33:

In Reply to: Mr. Provost's Neighborhood posted by chelsea on July 17, 2001 at 19:31:50:

...which is pretty unlikely. Also, they do it 'legally enough' to get it past the DHRC. Face it, this is now a legitmate part of the game.

In any area where a one bedroom, or even studios in some parts of Manhattan, apartment can get someone to pay $2K or more, no one will ever get a new stabilized lease.

: I said illegal decontrol, not renovation, hurts buildings and neighborhoods. In my own very real-world neighborhood, high rents are pushing long-term tenants out and making it hard for younger, low-income people to move in, and stay.

: But as I said, we're not here to debate the pros and cons of housing regulation. Gregg, a tenant in the building in question, said he's concerned about what's going on there and asked about strategies, so I feel no need to keep my thoughts to myself, thank you very much.

: : : If vacated apartments are illegally decontrolled and become luxury apartments, the rest of the building and the neighborhood suffer.

: : So renovating and improving apartments causes the rest of a building and a whole neighborhood to suffer ? Whoose neighborhood ? In my neighborhood, the south bronx, there's been a whole slew of private renovations in the last few years. Neighborhoods have improved tremendously. There's less crime, and new middle class residents, and we're quite happy with that. Yes, the newly renovated apartments rent for higher rents than the old run down apartments (obvious). They've also helped attract people to the neighborhood who never would have considered it before.

: : So keep your highbrow social theories to yourself, in the real world, renovating apartments and building renewal suits us just fine.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name