Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lilly gave very bad advice!

Posted by Lee on July 17, 2001 at 09:38:10:

In Reply to: Re: Lilly gave very bad advice! posted by Provost on July 13, 2001 at 22:12:42:

...I don't want to say anything as yet as I've learnt that opening your mouth to soon is a mistake in New York. However, to make things clearer here's more details on the situation. I broke the lease last month and moved out - the rent was proving difficult to pay and I didn't want to remain there and end up in debt. I informed the landlord that I was intending to move out, and that I was going to contact the broker that got me the place and hopefully get someone in asap. I wanted my deposit back. I was behind with one months rent but originally paid an extra month's rent along with the deposit when I moved in, so the landlord was not out of pocket at all at this point - and, it worked out that if someone moved in within two weeks I could walk away with all my deposit. However, the landlord is now insisting he has someone, a friend, who wants the apartment but it seems he/she is not looking to move in until, by an odd coincidence, all of my said deposit has been eaten up by rent. He's put a halt on the broker having anyone look at the place. I understand this sounds exceptable really but on moving out a tenancy renewal form was slipped under the frontdoor with all the details that lead me to believe that I'm an 'illusionary tenant'. I was paying $800 a month more than the legally regulated rent and the lease is yearly that leads me to believe its a rent-stabilized apartment.

I really just want my deposit back and don't want to create any kind of storm unless I have too. However, the landlord is full of contradictions and I'm fed up with him thinking he's got away with something. If I have a strong case here then I'd like to take action. Whats the best approach?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name