Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Sorry JJ, you're wrong, and your handle sucks too !.

Posted by Provost on July 10, 2001 at 22:58:39:

In Reply to: Re: HELP! don;t listen to Provost: P's advice will get you evicted. posted by JJ on July 10, 2001 at 22:01:39:

This tenant is on his way to getting evicted as it is. You may disagree, but I know - for a number of reasons - that being evicted is not something you want to go through.

The poster stated he lives in a house, probably fewer than 4 units. Even if this were an apartment, it would be up to the tenant to show that the eviction is retaliatory. Unless the LL did something stupid such as write a note stating "since you reported a violation, I'm evicting you", it hardly be worth the expense and time of fighting such a losing battle in court. Especially when this person could be looking for another apartment.

And JJ, apparently you don't know how the city buracracy moves, but this couple's child will be entering kindergarten before their complaints to the health dept. get window guards up. (The landlord is not required to give window-guard forms to the tenant until December/January). If the tenant really feels unsafe without them, installing them NOW is the best option. (Although the poster did mention he is on the 1st floor - I assume this is first floor up a stoop, because obviously one doesn't put window guards on the ground floor).

And both JJ's and the original poster's messages beg a response: If things are so bad there, then why try to stay any longer than necessary ? I'd be out in a flash myself ! But of course, I have a busy life. For some people, complaining to the LL and whining to a judge before he signs the eviction papers may be the only entertainment they get.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name