Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent stabilzed building. Can I sublet? MAX = 2 years.

Posted by JJ on July 10, 2001 at 22:20:37:

In Reply to: rent stabilzed building, rent stablized lease not given.. Can I sublet? posted by Jeff Kramer on July 09, 2001 at 10:14:57:

: I have been offered the opportunity to sublet an apt in a rent stabilized building where the tenant initially had a dispute with the landlord & did not receive a rent stabilized lease, but they did receive a signed stipulation allowing them to occupy for x years..

: My question is would I have at least the same rights as the current tenant, as I have been advised that the landlord has violated the c of o of the building by trying to rent a stabilized apt as a non- rent stabilized apt.

: thank you

As a sublettor you do not gain the rent stabilization rights (such as right to a renewal
lease) that the primary tenant has. You should not plan to occupy the apartment any
longer than the duration of your sublease, or FOR A MAXIMUN OF TWO YEARS, even if his current lease expires before that (he would have to renew it, of course).

The prime tenant will have to get the landlord's permission to sublet; there may be a sublet surcharge tacked onto the prime tenant's rent.

Read about it: start with, NY Tenant Info. Then go to, DHCR section. Or to DCHR itself:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name