Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Overcharging Roommates

Posted by Provost on July 03, 2001 at 18:41:03:

In Reply to: Overcharging Roommates posted by jane on July 03, 2001 at 13:26:00:

The rules against overcharging roommates that you refer to apply only to rent-stabilized apartments. You obviously have a commercial lease, so you do not need to worry.

I would be more concerned with your residential use of a commercial property. But if both you and your landlord are cool about it, well, then its basically a nonissue. Just don't get entangled with any city agency and you will be OK.

: Brooklyn, NYC

: my roommate and i are on the lease for a large loft that we rent out to 5 additional people.
: we are charging people more than their actual "fair" share of rent to cover construction costs [we built everything w/ LL's permission], repairs, bills like real estate taxes, etc.
: i want to be [and i have been] really up front about charging more to everyone who lives there and i explain why, and oviously they accept it or they wouldnt have moved in. but my LL is mean and i dont want to get in trouble ever for over-charging roommates. i live in a commercial building [classified as a misc building]. my lease does state we cannot sublease more than 50% of our space/rent, but outside of that do we need to worry about it? i want to be as fair as possible.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name