Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Overcharging Roommates

Posted by Ace on July 03, 2001 at 15:15:58:

In Reply to: Overcharging Roommates posted by jane on July 03, 2001 at 13:26:00:

Put something in writing and ask roommates to sign off on it agreeing to there not being a problem -- for your records. If you believe the LL would have a problem with it, then show him the letters (notarized signed with you and the roommate in question signatures and dated -- for your protection). That's only if the LL raises a fuss.

I can't believe the LL has given you permission -- did you get this in writing? If LL has allowed you to make renovations and repairs and pay taxes on the property, then you should be making detailed notes of this, keeping all receipts, and keeping copies of letters sent to LL monthly stating your costs and what you've done and what you all have agreed to, send certified return receipt or preferably Fed Ex so you have signature upon receipt for your records.

Take before and during and after pictures in case LL decides to get stupid. Make sure film is date and time stamped and send a copy of this along to the LL with your monthly update letter.

: Brooklyn, NYC

: my roommate and i are on the lease for a large loft that we rent out to 5 additional people.
: we are charging people more than their actual "fair" share of rent to cover construction costs [we built everything w/ LL's permission], repairs, bills like real estate taxes, etc.
: i want to be [and i have been] really up front about charging more to everyone who lives there and i explain why, and oviously they accept it or they wouldnt have moved in. but my LL is mean and i dont want to get in trouble ever for over-charging roommates. i live in a commercial building [classified as a misc building]. my lease does state we cannot sublease more than 50% of our space/rent, but outside of that do we need to worry about it? i want to be as fair as possible.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name