Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rats in the floor boards

Posted by D'vora on July 03, 2001 at 08:37:39:

I live in an old tenement building on the lower east side. My roommate and I have lived in our rent stabalized apartment for two years now. About a year ago we began to notice that there were rats living in the floor boards above our ceiling. In the middle of the night we can hear the rats running around, scratching on the florr and doing god knows what else. It is very noisy and pretty creepy too. We have seen a mouse in the apartment but never a rat.

Apparently there are whole in th floor of the people that live above us and the rats go into their apartment. They have probably made several complaints but because they have been living in the apartment for 20 years with unbelievably low rent, the landlord does nothing for them. I suspect she wants them to give up and move out so she can renovate the apartment and rent it for market rates.

Listening to the rats running around is getting unbearable. The landlord and super have given us some rat poinson that is useless since the rats don't come in our apartment. Then they gave us PestContro device that emits some noise. It worked for a few weeks but doesn't work anymore. They refuse to put traps in the floor boards. Is there anything else we can do? Do we have a case to call the health department or the buildings department given the rats are not in our apartment?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name